Skip to main content

Figuring It Out

Transitioning into parenthood has been challenging, to say the least.  Lack of sleep coupled with baby's crying fits of unknown origin have made the nights unbearably long and the naps unbelievably short.  There seems to be an endless list of "to do's" from laundry to sterilizing bottles to cleaning up projectile poop, and not nearly enough hours to complete any of this stuff (thank God that my mom is bearing the load right now, but when she goes...well, the ball will drop).  Of course, two trips to the ER at the local children's hospital (in three days) don't help either.**  Suffice to say, we are tired.

It has also been an adventure trying to figure out Baby Loquacious' cues and preferences.  Not unlike a difficult logic problem or a good mystery novel, we need to piece together a whole bunch of little tidbits of information over a period of time in order to form some sort of coherent snapshot of our kid.  Only by trial and error have we discovered a few choice clues to help us survive the days (and nights):

* white noise machines and the shower running are ambient noises that help baby sleep
* she likes being bounced and walked around; rocking on the rocker just won't cut it
* car rides make her sleepy
* nursing makes her comatose, even though she latches at a funny angle and prefers latching on her own rather than being guided
* gripe water is her drug of choice; it reduces her gas discomfort even though I have no idea how it works
* she enjoys the taste of Vitamin D drops
* there are distinct types of cries that she offers up depending on whether she wants to feed or be changed
* skin-to-skin is a very comfy place for her to be, especially with me
* she likes to be really warm (taking after her daddy), which is why bath time is such a tough go
* swaddling only works if she gets to keep her arms free; she's a bit of a Houdini and hates being totally restricted when she sleeps

I won't lie - these first weeks of parenthood are hard.  They test the limits of our patience at a time when we are most tired, and there isn't much in the way of consistency where schedules are concerned.  We sleep (or try to sleep) when baby sleeps, and we feed every time she wants to eat.  We change her the moment we smell something afoul in the air, and we fit in showers and meals around baby's ever-changing schedule.

And yet, despite the challenges that these next few weeks will pose (and have posed), I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I know that my darling little Baby Loquacious will only be this age once, and the season is short, so I make the most of every opportunity to love on her and serve her with a joyful heart and a willing spirit.  She may be a bit of a grump sometimes, but in the end she is a wonderful little baby whose sweet giggles and cuddles make all the sleepless nights and difficult days worthwhile.

She's not being strangled, she's actually being burped.  And this, my friends, is her natural expression..LOL.
**PS - The ER trips were educational for Mommy & Daddy.  Baby Loquacious is fine and thriving.

Comments

~Rain``` said…
And just when you think you figured out the darling's pattern or cues, it changes. Sheesh! But like you, I wouldn't trade the confusion for anything else. Well, maybe less confusion. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Gone with the FLLO - Traveling with the Clek FLLO

In previous posts, I've already detailed the awesomeness of Clek's FLLO seat, so no need for redundancy here. The true test of its greatness lies in how well it travels, since it is meant to be a "compact" and more portable version of the gargantuan FOONF.

Now, to be clear, we purchased a Clek WEELEE bag to transport our car seat on our flight to and from Maui, *and* we checked our car seat with our airline, which I know is a big CPS Tech no-no. They argue that any car seat that has been checked is as good as crashed, because the potential rough handling of the seat by the carrier compromises its integrity and could damage it internally. My experience (now that I've done it) is this:

a) The Weelee bag is very well padded and sturdy. Once I had the seat properly placed inside the bag, I felt that it was as good as any seat in a styrofoam-packaged box. The bonus, of course, is that unlike a box, the Weelee has a telescopic handle and deeply-grooved, rugged wheels, …

Outgrow. Outlast. - The Finale of Our BF Journey

To be completely honest, I almost didn't write this post. While I'm usually fairly open about my opinions and parenting choices, I've held this one pretty close to the vest in recent years, because it is a more controversial - and personal- decision than most others. Sadly, it is one that many Western mothers are also unfairly judged for, despite it being completely natural in many other parts of our world.

The choice: full-term, aka "extended," breastfeeding. Little L and I chose to continue our nursing journey beyond age 2, and 3, and even 4. In fact, we only weaned a couple of weeks ago. We had already stopped nursing in public and nursing on demand several years earlier, but it was only recently that Little L was ready to completely wean from her nighttime and early morning sessions; she had finally outgrown her need to drink from my milk. The most clear signs of this were her growing desire for "privacy" and alone time, and her "nye-nye"

An Eyeliner Switcheroo

For the past several years, I've been a very loyal Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Eye Liner fan. I mean, I use the stuff every single day, and I like to do dramatic wings on my eyes, so I need a quality eyeliner that is high pigment, won't smear, and has an amazing fine-tipped brush that will let me draw my eyeliner wings to a very long, dramatic tip. My standards are exacting when it comes to liquid liner. 

That said, my wallet hates me for it. Those amazing liners cost $30 a pop, and they only last a couple of months at the rate that I use them. 
So, as any responsible adult tries to do, I've attempted to save money and find a cheaper alternative. I've used all sorts of liners sent by IPSY, or bought at my local drugstore. Unfortunately, every attempt I've made has resulted in great regret. The brush applicator was too wide or too short. The eyeliner smudged too easily. The pigment wasn't dark enough. You get the idea.
However, I think I've finally found m…