Skip to main content

Precious MOMents

A random shot of my girl on her new playmat
I haven't read this term anywhere so I'm officially claiming it as my own coined word: MOMents.  I define it as those instances in time when one experiences something as a mother.  They can be positive or negative events, but they are exclusively lived out in the role of a mommy.

While I'm at it I might as well claim MOMentum as my own too! ;) I see this as the drive that propels moms forward and keeps them going on the rough days when sleep is lacking and baby is fussing and the day just doesn't seem to end.

Recently I've had a lot of great MOMents and a resurge in MOMentum.  They both have to do with Baby Loquacious being four months old (officially!) and growing increasingly aware and alert; her big smile and belly laugh to indicate that she knows who I am and loves me charges me up, and I find myself building MOMentum to play and sing and dance with her just to illicit more smiling and laughing.  This, even when the four month sleep regression means that I'm waking up again in the middle of the night to nurse, and naps are hard-fought victories, and Baby L seems to have limitless energy to play (usually when Mommy's at her most tired - it's an inverse proportion).

Likewise, she has come to develop a bond with me that evidences itself most prominently when she is sleepy or scared or cranky.  During those MOMents, cuddling with her and having her nurse on my bosom (or even just nestle herself on it like a pillow) seems to bring her such comfort and relief that it makes my heart tingle.  I also cherish the knowledge that out of everyone in the whole entire universe, I am the person that can offer her this reassurance and security.  Nothing says I love you like an infant who is literally curling her body around yours to maximize body-to-body contact.  That is one of my favourite MOMents of late.

Another would be that magical period of time when Baby L first wakes up and sees me, and recognizes me.  First, there's a wide-eyed wonderment to her *blink blink* stare.  Then, the ear-to-ear grin that accompanies that glimmer of recognition in her eyes lights up my world.  After that, she will usually raise her arms over her head and do an excited little wiggle dance to tell me that she is so glad to see me, and it's just so irresistible that I absolutely have to pick her up immediately to give her a kiss and a big hug.  Cunning, I know ;)  I'm nearly convinced now that God made babies this cute, and gave them little adorable mannerisms such as these just to help mommies fall more in love with them over time.

Anyway, I digress.  I am really loving being a mommy, despite the rough patches at the beginning (and they felt like they would never end, even though I know I really had it good compared to many) and the long days and short sleeps.  Every day that I can hold my Baby L, I am reminded that she is a gift that God has entrusted to us, and Hubbs and I are privileged to be partnering with Him in raising a healthy, joyful baby girl.  We longed for her and she was our answer to prayer, and so I try very hard each day not to take that for granted.  I am also drinking in each MOMent, fully aware that these are fleeting and one day she will be a big girl, an adult, and I will be sitting with empty arms again wondering how it all flew by so quickly.

May your babies, big or small, give you some great MOMents to cherish, and may that point you to the One who makes it all possible.  -xo

Comments

I LOVE this post! Thank you!
Sharon said…
Me too :) God *is* so good. I'm so happy for you guys!

Popular posts from this blog

Gone with the FLLO - Traveling with the Clek FLLO

In previous posts, I've already detailed the awesomeness of Clek's FLLO seat, so no need for redundancy here. The true test of its greatness lies in how well it travels, since it is meant to be a "compact" and more portable version of the gargantuan FOONF.

Now, to be clear, we purchased a Clek WEELEE bag to transport our car seat on our flight to and from Maui, *and* we checked our car seat with our airline, which I know is a big CPS Tech no-no. They argue that any car seat that has been checked is as good as crashed, because the potential rough handling of the seat by the carrier compromises its integrity and could damage it internally. My experience (now that I've done it) is this:

a) The Weelee bag is very well padded and sturdy. Once I had the seat properly placed inside the bag, I felt that it was as good as any seat in a styrofoam-packaged box. The bonus, of course, is that unlike a box, the Weelee has a telescopic handle and deeply-grooved, rugged wheels, …

Outgrow. Outlast. - The Finale of Our BF Journey

To be completely honest, I almost didn't write this post. While I'm usually fairly open about my opinions and parenting choices, I've held this one pretty close to the vest in recent years, because it is a more controversial - and personal- decision than most others. Sadly, it is one that many Western mothers are also unfairly judged for, despite it being completely natural in many other parts of our world.

The choice: full-term, aka "extended," breastfeeding. Little L and I chose to continue our nursing journey beyond age 2, and 3, and even 4. In fact, we only weaned a couple of weeks ago. We had already stopped nursing in public and nursing on demand several years earlier, but it was only recently that Little L was ready to completely wean from her nighttime and early morning sessions; she had finally outgrown her need to drink from my milk. The most clear signs of this were her growing desire for "privacy" and alone time, and her "nye-nye"

An Eyeliner Switcheroo

For the past several years, I've been a very loyal Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Eye Liner fan. I mean, I use the stuff every single day, and I like to do dramatic wings on my eyes, so I need a quality eyeliner that is high pigment, won't smear, and has an amazing fine-tipped brush that will let me draw my eyeliner wings to a very long, dramatic tip. My standards are exacting when it comes to liquid liner. 

That said, my wallet hates me for it. Those amazing liners cost $30 a pop, and they only last a couple of months at the rate that I use them. 
So, as any responsible adult tries to do, I've attempted to save money and find a cheaper alternative. I've used all sorts of liners sent by IPSY, or bought at my local drugstore. Unfortunately, every attempt I've made has resulted in great regret. The brush applicator was too wide or too short. The eyeliner smudged too easily. The pigment wasn't dark enough. You get the idea.
However, I think I've finally found m…