Skip to main content

Taming my Tongue?

When I first learned to cuss, I didn't quite master the art of profanity. Limited to my fourth-grade diary entries guarded under lock-and-key, my practice of using swear words was limited to my writing, which at the time was still abysmal. I essentially strung together series of swear words with random suffixes thrown in, but try as I might, these strings never made any sense, like, "Oh I hate her! She's such a sh*tting b*tch a$$hole bastard f*cky!" Yeah, I know. Needless to say I didn't make a very good sailor ;)

However, over the years I've gained impeccable finesse in using profanity. There have been times when Hubbs has been shocked (appalled?) at my potty mouth, and times when my letting loose a litany of swear words has resulted in much catharsis and positive results (like getting what I wanted as compensation for piss-poor service).

Now that Little L is increasingly aware of language and learning to talk, however, I have to censor my potty mouth.  Inspired by April's hilarious post at First Time Mom & Dad, I am also compiling a couple of phrases that I should probably stop using, aside from f*ck, which I am getting really good at uttering silently while driving (I hope she doesn't lip-read)!

I swear...  Actually, I don't usually swear by anything, but I do say those words.  Misleading and will probably make Little L think I'm swearing since I'm saying that I'm swearing...so I should just avoid this phrase altogether to keep life uncomplicated.

Shut up! Usually uttered with an air-head-esque affect, this is one of those things that I proclaim when I can't believe what someone is saying.  Sort of like, "No way! Really? Are you serious?" but for whatever reason, I like this version best.  Or liked.

Loser! Little L might start thinking that this is her dad's real name, but I usually say it in fun and with a snicker, after Hubbs does something totally lame and I'm trying to tell him that it has reached the bottom of the lame barrel.  Not nice, I know, which is why I'm quitting it.

"...retarded... This one is so offensive to me that I hate when I use the word. It's not PC either, but Hubbs uses the word a lot, and for worse it has rubbed off on me. Sometimes it comes out before I can even self-censor. But, given how horrible a word it is (and we use it referring to situations or behaviour or attitudes, not people), we should just stop.

crappy, piss, dumb, stupid, freakin'/friggin'... These are not swears per se, but the intent is still to cuss so it's still not okay. I never used these words at my school because they were considered inappropriate, so why use them at home?

Come to think of it, there are tons of words I probably should avoid, words that, although true, are mean or insulting or disparaging. Like ignorant degenerate, idiot, mouth-breather, etc. etc. I'm nearly gifted in the art of mean; why can't I be gifted with patience and kindness instead? *Sigh.* But I digress.

So yeah, watch for the G-rated Mrs L, coming to a blog near you!

Actually, f*ck that noise! I might not be able to swear in real life in my home or around my kid anymore, but my blog, in writing, and on the Internet is fair game... Sh*tting bitch a$$hole bastard f*cky!!


Comments

Speaking of piss... I nearly pissed my pants when I read this yesterday on my phone... and dammit if I didn't almost do it again! Mrs. L you and I would be great together... in private of course. xx
Mrs. Loquacious said…
Hell yes! (Also a phrase I am no longer allowed to blurt) ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Gone with the FLLO - Traveling with the Clek FLLO

In previous posts, I've already detailed the awesomeness of Clek's FLLO seat, so no need for redundancy here. The true test of its greatness lies in how well it travels, since it is meant to be a "compact" and more portable version of the gargantuan FOONF.

Now, to be clear, we purchased a Clek WEELEE bag to transport our car seat on our flight to and from Maui, *and* we checked our car seat with our airline, which I know is a big CPS Tech no-no. They argue that any car seat that has been checked is as good as crashed, because the potential rough handling of the seat by the carrier compromises its integrity and could damage it internally. My experience (now that I've done it) is this:

a) The Weelee bag is very well padded and sturdy. Once I had the seat properly placed inside the bag, I felt that it was as good as any seat in a styrofoam-packaged box. The bonus, of course, is that unlike a box, the Weelee has a telescopic handle and deeply-grooved, rugged wheels, …

Outgrow. Outlast. - The Finale of Our BF Journey

To be completely honest, I almost didn't write this post. While I'm usually fairly open about my opinions and parenting choices, I've held this one pretty close to the vest in recent years, because it is a more controversial - and personal- decision than most others. Sadly, it is one that many Western mothers are also unfairly judged for, despite it being completely natural in many other parts of our world.

The choice: full-term, aka "extended," breastfeeding. Little L and I chose to continue our nursing journey beyond age 2, and 3, and even 4. In fact, we only weaned a couple of weeks ago. We had already stopped nursing in public and nursing on demand several years earlier, but it was only recently that Little L was ready to completely wean from her nighttime and early morning sessions; she had finally outgrown her need to drink from my milk. The most clear signs of this were her growing desire for "privacy" and alone time, and her "nye-nye"

An Eyeliner Switcheroo

For the past several years, I've been a very loyal Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Eye Liner fan. I mean, I use the stuff every single day, and I like to do dramatic wings on my eyes, so I need a quality eyeliner that is high pigment, won't smear, and has an amazing fine-tipped brush that will let me draw my eyeliner wings to a very long, dramatic tip. My standards are exacting when it comes to liquid liner. 

That said, my wallet hates me for it. Those amazing liners cost $30 a pop, and they only last a couple of months at the rate that I use them. 
So, as any responsible adult tries to do, I've attempted to save money and find a cheaper alternative. I've used all sorts of liners sent by IPSY, or bought at my local drugstore. Unfortunately, every attempt I've made has resulted in great regret. The brush applicator was too wide or too short. The eyeliner smudged too easily. The pigment wasn't dark enough. You get the idea.
However, I think I've finally found m…