Skip to main content

Getting Serious and Non-Baby For a Moment... On Christians and AbortionPolitics

Some of you may have heard about the senator in Texas who filibustered an anti-abortion bill in its 11th hour the other day.  She looks a bit like the Who's the Boss? mom, played by Judith Light back in the day, don't you think?  But I digress.

Anyway, the bill didn't end up passing, so now a whole bunch of abortion clinics in TX get to stay open, and are legally permitted to perform abortive procedures after 20 weeks' gestation.

How am I supposed to react to this?  As a Christian? As a mother? As a woman?
I am pro-Jesus.  I am pro-Bible.  I am pro-life, pro-Truth, pro-grace, and pro-love.

The initial reaction, my gut instinct one, was to be repulsed, because abortion is repulsive.  I have a friend who likes to "share" some of the goriest pro-life movement images ever, on FBook.  I always cringe when I see the images pop up in my newsfeed, because they are revolting.  Seriously, nobody who has eaten should ever, ever click on those links because you will be revisiting your food again.  It's horrifying, much as abortion is.  And that is my gut reaction as a person, period.

My reaction as a mommy is no different.  I cannot imagine killing my baby, and would never choose to do it under any circumstance, except if my life was in jeopardy (and even then, I'd have to weigh out the odds because I would probably want to die rather than let my baby die).  I mean, think about your babies now.  The ones outside your body.  Would you not throw yourself in front of traffic to keep your kid from being run over? Or step in between your child and the wild animal that is trying to pierce their jugular? Exactly. That momma instinct runs deep in me, and extends to babies that are not yet born.  So I cannot imagine aborting a child inside my body.  Not in the case of rape.  Not in the case of fetal anomaly.  Not in the case of anything.  As a mother who loves being a mother, I simply cannot empathize with the line of reasoning that says that, since the baby is not yet out of the body or "fully formed," it doesn't count as a life and has lesser value than my own.

As a Christian, my reaction is that I believe in the sanctity of life.  I think that God alone gives life, and He takes life away.  I think that for any person to intervene in this process once life has been given by God, is an act of murder.  And I believe that it is wrong to commit murder.

But.  BUT.  We live in a sinful, fallen world.  One where adultery in many forms is not only condoned, but lauded.  One where certain types of murder are considered humane or ethical or permissible, including euthanasia /assisted suicide, capital punishment, and abortion.  One where the Bible is not only ignored, but openly mocked, and these attitudes are actually respected and celebrated.

So, I think my reaction when it comes to abortion is not to fight for Christian values in a political arena in a fallen world. Politics is very much the opinion and voice of the masses, not the voice and authority of the Master.  In a context where God is not welcome, neither would His precepts be. I also do not think that to engage the politics of this culture is an effective means to stop abortions from happening, anyway.  When you impose a law on people, it just forces them to do what they want to do, outside of the law, and then there will be more Gosnell-types doing horrible things in back-room clinics. That is in many ways even worse than legally-sanctioned clinics that have to meet federal standards.

In the end, I think the best reaction is the Gospel.  People need Jesus.  They need the revolutionary, sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit, the compassionate heart of Christ, and the grace and mercy of a holy Father who can open their hearts and eyes to a different reality, one that aligns with Truth. What we need isn't a bill to stop abortion clinics from running, but a Gospel that will help people see how precious they are as image-bearers of God from conception.  If those who sought abortions actually knew how loved they and their babies are, and how miraculous and precious the life inside of them actually is, and how God can turn even the most heinous situations into a beautiful story through Jesus, then they would not actually want the abortion at any stage of gestation.  And these clinics would simply go out of business.

So yeah, I don't really have all the answers, except Jesus.  He is my Answer.  The world needs Jesus.

And yes, I realize this view is radical by Christian and worldly standards.  But I wouldn't be me if I wasn't a little bit radical ;)

 
Hubbs' hat, my new haircut - you're welcome ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gone with the FLLO - Traveling with the Clek FLLO

In previous posts, I've already detailed the awesomeness of Clek's FLLO seat, so no need for redundancy here. The true test of its greatness lies in how well it travels, since it is meant to be a "compact" and more portable version of the gargantuan FOONF.

Now, to be clear, we purchased a Clek WEELEE bag to transport our car seat on our flight to and from Maui, *and* we checked our car seat with our airline, which I know is a big CPS Tech no-no. They argue that any car seat that has been checked is as good as crashed, because the potential rough handling of the seat by the carrier compromises its integrity and could damage it internally. My experience (now that I've done it) is this:

a) The Weelee bag is very well padded and sturdy. Once I had the seat properly placed inside the bag, I felt that it was as good as any seat in a styrofoam-packaged box. The bonus, of course, is that unlike a box, the Weelee has a telescopic handle and deeply-grooved, rugged wheels, …

Outgrow. Outlast. - The Finale of Our BF Journey

To be completely honest, I almost didn't write this post. While I'm usually fairly open about my opinions and parenting choices, I've held this one pretty close to the vest in recent years, because it is a more controversial - and personal- decision than most others. Sadly, it is one that many Western mothers are also unfairly judged for, despite it being completely natural in many other parts of our world.

The choice: full-term, aka "extended," breastfeeding. Little L and I chose to continue our nursing journey beyond age 2, and 3, and even 4. In fact, we only weaned a couple of weeks ago. We had already stopped nursing in public and nursing on demand several years earlier, but it was only recently that Little L was ready to completely wean from her nighttime and early morning sessions; she had finally outgrown her need to drink from my milk. The most clear signs of this were her growing desire for "privacy" and alone time, and her "nye-nye"

An Eyeliner Switcheroo

For the past several years, I've been a very loyal Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Eye Liner fan. I mean, I use the stuff every single day, and I like to do dramatic wings on my eyes, so I need a quality eyeliner that is high pigment, won't smear, and has an amazing fine-tipped brush that will let me draw my eyeliner wings to a very long, dramatic tip. My standards are exacting when it comes to liquid liner. 

That said, my wallet hates me for it. Those amazing liners cost $30 a pop, and they only last a couple of months at the rate that I use them. 
So, as any responsible adult tries to do, I've attempted to save money and find a cheaper alternative. I've used all sorts of liners sent by IPSY, or bought at my local drugstore. Unfortunately, every attempt I've made has resulted in great regret. The brush applicator was too wide or too short. The eyeliner smudged too easily. The pigment wasn't dark enough. You get the idea.
However, I think I've finally found m…