Skip to main content

Thanks Thinx - A Review

***WARNING: TMI Graphic girly content ahead. NSF kids or guys who don't discuss menstruation with their ladies on the regular ***



When I learned that there was such a thing as period panties, I got excited. Let's just say that when I cruise the crimson sea, it's always high tide. The idea, then, of a leak-proof and comfy option for the likes of me was beyond appealing, since I hate the sensation of feeling as though I'm sloshing around in diapers.

There are apparently several brands of menstrual underwear out there on the market, but I decided to be swayed by the one that popped up on my social media with a savvy marketing campaign. Thinx is a New York-based women-founded company that helps girls and women in the developing world. Good idea and good deed, too? Sold. So I broke the bank and bought three pairs: two hip-hugger and a boy short. And I waited for them to arrive, and then for an opportunity to test them out.


Now that I've had a few (heavy) days to try them out, the verdict is in: I wish I had bought more! Absorbency is solid; I could wear any of the three pairs with just a Tampax and not sully my clothes, and while I only allowed myself to sport any given pair for about 8 hours, that was still a good trial. It felt liberating to not have to "double up" on those first ugly days, if you know what I mean. The cleaning process was a little gross, since you have to cold water rinse them immediately upon changing, and that can be a bit of a bloody mess. Hanging to dry wasn't an issue for me, and not filling my garbage can and the landfill with sullied pads is a *huge* plus in my books. The hip-hugger style fit me well and was really comfy to wear. The boy shorts, unfortunately, kept rolling under my fat roll (lovely, I know), and I was constantly pulling up my underwear. Unsightly and inconvenient. Still, no accidents, so while I don't love that style, I figure I can still wear them to bed or something. I even tried it overnight on a less intense day, and it worked better than my normal set up, which involves a number of Always and a tampon. Next time I will give it a full night on a flood day to see if it holds up (God help my sheets).

The whole idea of period panties was baffling to me at first. I was perplexed at how it all absorbs without soaking and sagging, but here's the explanatory graphic:


Frankly, for me it seems to work. I don't stink and it doesn't seem to create embarrassing clothing situations, so that's good enough for me! I don't know how it handles the less-than-liquid issues, though, but I am pretty sure a Google search can answer that!

The only downside to Thinx is that no pair of undies can hold a day's worth of output, so you kind of have to factor that in when you figure out how many pairs you would need for a cycle. In my case, I really could use a dozen pairs, no lie. The other downside is that if you're out and about and you have to change your undies, you're rinsing in a public washroom sink and carting around soiled panties until you can get home and do the laundry. That's a little bit gross, IMHO. Finally - I only bought them in black. I don't know how monstrous the light-coloured undies might look after 8 hours on Day 2. Ick.

So should you invest in some Thinx? They're not cheap at $30+USD per pair, but I guess if you can get a lot of mileage out of yours, then you're saving on pads. I am curious to try some of the other period panties out there, and if they have a better price point, I'm game to give them a go rather than invest all of my hard-earned buckeroos on Thinx. That said, from what I've read, Thinx is kind of the Cadillac of period panties; many of the reviews I've read on the other ones don't seem to glow quite as much. However, I wasn't paid for this review, so I have no obligation to tell you where to shop and what to buy; instead, I would suggest that you do your research on the options out there, and see if menstrual panties work for you, period (pun intended).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gone with the FLLO - Traveling with the Clek FLLO

In previous posts, I've already detailed the awesomeness of Clek's FLLO seat, so no need for redundancy here. The true test of its greatness lies in how well it travels, since it is meant to be a "compact" and more portable version of the gargantuan FOONF.

Now, to be clear, we purchased a Clek WEELEE bag to transport our car seat on our flight to and from Maui, *and* we checked our car seat with our airline, which I know is a big CPS Tech no-no. They argue that any car seat that has been checked is as good as crashed, because the potential rough handling of the seat by the carrier compromises its integrity and could damage it internally. My experience (now that I've done it) is this:

a) The Weelee bag is very well padded and sturdy. Once I had the seat properly placed inside the bag, I felt that it was as good as any seat in a styrofoam-packaged box. The bonus, of course, is that unlike a box, the Weelee has a telescopic handle and deeply-grooved, rugged wheels, …

Outgrow. Outlast. - The Finale of Our BF Journey

To be completely honest, I almost didn't write this post. While I'm usually fairly open about my opinions and parenting choices, I've held this one pretty close to the vest in recent years, because it is a more controversial - and personal- decision than most others. Sadly, it is one that many Western mothers are also unfairly judged for, despite it being completely natural in many other parts of our world.

The choice: full-term, aka "extended," breastfeeding. Little L and I chose to continue our nursing journey beyond age 2, and 3, and even 4. In fact, we only weaned a couple of weeks ago. We had already stopped nursing in public and nursing on demand several years earlier, but it was only recently that Little L was ready to completely wean from her nighttime and early morning sessions; she had finally outgrown her need to drink from my milk. The most clear signs of this were her growing desire for "privacy" and alone time, and her "nye-nye"

An Eyeliner Switcheroo

For the past several years, I've been a very loyal Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Eye Liner fan. I mean, I use the stuff every single day, and I like to do dramatic wings on my eyes, so I need a quality eyeliner that is high pigment, won't smear, and has an amazing fine-tipped brush that will let me draw my eyeliner wings to a very long, dramatic tip. My standards are exacting when it comes to liquid liner. 

That said, my wallet hates me for it. Those amazing liners cost $30 a pop, and they only last a couple of months at the rate that I use them. 
So, as any responsible adult tries to do, I've attempted to save money and find a cheaper alternative. I've used all sorts of liners sent by IPSY, or bought at my local drugstore. Unfortunately, every attempt I've made has resulted in great regret. The brush applicator was too wide or too short. The eyeliner smudged too easily. The pigment wasn't dark enough. You get the idea.
However, I think I've finally found m…