Skip to main content

Mars and Venus

There are definite differences in Hubbs' and my parenting styles.  Namely - he's a guy and I'm a momma bear. Here are some examples:



Feeding Baby L
Hubbs: will only feed her if she makes overt signs to tell you she's hungry
Me: will feed her any time she begins to fuss (hence overweight baby)
Hubbs: will feed her in any way that allows her to eat and allows him to continue to do whatever he's doing
Me: will only feed her in a cradled position, ensuring that her head is appropriately elevated relative to the rest of her body (but her chin is tilted upwards and not against her chest)

Holding Baby L
Hubbs: will hold her in any way that doesn't cause her to cry and allows him to continue to do whatever he's doing
Me: will only hold her in cuddly positions, mindful of the placement of her hips, legs, back and neck to avoid future neck/back problems
Hubbs: will hold her with one arm
Me: two arms except when she's in a sling or I'm only taking the arm away for like 2 seconds

Dribble on Baby L's Chin
Hubbs: wipes off with his fingers, which are then wiped on his jeans
Me: "Can you please get me a warm clean washcloth?!?" followed by gentle cleansing of the face and neck

Burping Baby L
Hubbs: will burp her until he's too tired or "it's good enough"
Me: will burp her until her lips move like Homer Simpson's and there is an audible, shockingly loud belch
Hubbs: will smack her back vigorously (my mom-in-law might even say violently) until she burps
Me: will gently pat at her back and bottom with a steady rhythmic motion in hopes of triggering burps

Pacifiers
Hubbs: will use it when she's fussy and doesn't need to eat
Me: avoids it like the plague and will often not even consider it an option, literally forgetting about it

Diaper Changes
Hubbs: will not cringe (and will in fact be sort of proud) when Baby L does a massive gross number 2
Me: will call in reinforcements if I even suspect a poop, grossed out by the nasty yellowy-brown of it
Hubbs: will wipe until there's no visible trace of poop
Me: will wipe until she's clean, and then do two more thorough wipe-downs for good measure
Hubbs: will not wipe Baby L after a pee
Me: will wipe her, front and back, after every diaper change
Hubbs: will boldly change her on the change table bare-assed
Me: will line the change table with paper towel and position a new diaper beneath the old one before attempting the removal of the soiled one

Bathing Baby L
Hubbs: will initiate bathing procedures if Baby L begins to stink
Me: will bathe Baby L every other day (and every day if I can sneak it in)

Changing Baby L's clothes
Hubbs: will change her clothes if she begins to stink or there has been a #1/#2 accident
Me: will change her clothes daily, at minimum

Playing with Baby L
Hubbs: will do whatever amuses him and her
Me: will try to figure out the most stimulating and educational things to do with Baby L (hence the black-white contrast images posted in her playard and on my nursing recliner, and strategically-placed dangly toys on her activity mat)
Hubbs: will utter nonsensical things to Baby L
Me: will try to converse with her in two languages (English and Cantonese), alternating between them as I narrate every activity we're doing together
Hubbs: considers napping with Baby L as play time
Me: does not

And that's just the beginning.  We're so different, but I'm so thankful that we bring balance to each other's approaches so that Baby L gets the best of both worlds, though in my humble opinion, mine's probably better by a slight edge ;) !



Comments

Linda said…
Regardless how your parenting styles, you and J are doing a great job! She was so well behaved and not in the least bit fussy. I guess Aunties and Uncles get spoiled since we don't see babies 24/7. She's so cute! Love her!

Popular posts from this blog

Gone with the FLLO - Traveling with the Clek FLLO

In previous posts, I've already detailed the awesomeness of Clek's FLLO seat, so no need for redundancy here. The true test of its greatness lies in how well it travels, since it is meant to be a "compact" and more portable version of the gargantuan FOONF.

Now, to be clear, we purchased a Clek WEELEE bag to transport our car seat on our flight to and from Maui, *and* we checked our car seat with our airline, which I know is a big CPS Tech no-no. They argue that any car seat that has been checked is as good as crashed, because the potential rough handling of the seat by the carrier compromises its integrity and could damage it internally. My experience (now that I've done it) is this:

a) The Weelee bag is very well padded and sturdy. Once I had the seat properly placed inside the bag, I felt that it was as good as any seat in a styrofoam-packaged box. The bonus, of course, is that unlike a box, the Weelee has a telescopic handle and deeply-grooved, rugged wheels, …

Outgrow. Outlast. - The Finale of Our BF Journey

To be completely honest, I almost didn't write this post. While I'm usually fairly open about my opinions and parenting choices, I've held this one pretty close to the vest in recent years, because it is a more controversial - and personal- decision than most others. Sadly, it is one that many Western mothers are also unfairly judged for, despite it being completely natural in many other parts of our world.

The choice: full-term, aka "extended," breastfeeding. Little L and I chose to continue our nursing journey beyond age 2, and 3, and even 4. In fact, we only weaned a couple of weeks ago. We had already stopped nursing in public and nursing on demand several years earlier, but it was only recently that Little L was ready to completely wean from her nighttime and early morning sessions; she had finally outgrown her need to drink from my milk. The most clear signs of this were her growing desire for "privacy" and alone time, and her "nye-nye"

An Eyeliner Switcheroo

For the past several years, I've been a very loyal Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Eye Liner fan. I mean, I use the stuff every single day, and I like to do dramatic wings on my eyes, so I need a quality eyeliner that is high pigment, won't smear, and has an amazing fine-tipped brush that will let me draw my eyeliner wings to a very long, dramatic tip. My standards are exacting when it comes to liquid liner. 

That said, my wallet hates me for it. Those amazing liners cost $30 a pop, and they only last a couple of months at the rate that I use them. 
So, as any responsible adult tries to do, I've attempted to save money and find a cheaper alternative. I've used all sorts of liners sent by IPSY, or bought at my local drugstore. Unfortunately, every attempt I've made has resulted in great regret. The brush applicator was too wide or too short. The eyeliner smudged too easily. The pigment wasn't dark enough. You get the idea.
However, I think I've finally found m…