Skip to main content

Sawbry Thief

We were away for a week, so most of the contents of our fridge ended up spoiling.  Because we had already finished off any edible items for dinner last night, we had to do a massive grocery shop today.

Little L was in a weird mood during the shopping trip, refusing to sit in her stroller and actually crying about it (which is rare - she doesn't often cry real tears).  We moved her into the cart in an attempt to keep her from a full-blown meltdown.  She calmed down almost immediately.

While I was looking through the baby aisles (in an attempt to add to my sippy cup collection), and not paying attention, someone managed to pry open the clamshell of strawberries immediately behind her little seat in the cart.  When my eyes returned to my darling little girl, she was already biting into a large, juicy strawberry, a look of delight in her eyes and strawberry juice dripping from between her fingers and the bottom of her chin.  As it turns out, she was crying in her stroller because she saw the container of strawberries in the cart and wanted to have one immediately. Huh.

Well, I wasn't about to pry the fruit from her hands and risk a massive tantrum; after all, we were going to buy the strawberries anyway.  However, I also didn't want her to keep thieving from the as-yet-not-paid-for container, so I had to relocate that clamshell of strawberries to a less accessible area of the cart.  Meanwhile, she ate the whole giant berry like a little apple, leaving only the leafy green stem (which she promptly threw down onto the ground like the litterbug that she is).

I knew that Little L has been into strawberries lately; she has been known to polish off 5 or 6 sizable ones, uncut, in a single sitting. In fact, she has been so into strawberries that she has learned how to say the word (although it sounds more like sawbry  than strawberry) to let us know what she wants.  What I didn't know, however, was that she would be willing to stealthily sneak them at the grocery store.  She's only one, for cryin' out loud! Who knew?!

Lesson learned.  Next time, I'm feeding her before I take her shopping.  And I'll be keeping edible items far away from her sticky little fingers.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gone with the FLLO - Traveling with the Clek FLLO

In previous posts, I've already detailed the awesomeness of Clek's FLLO seat, so no need for redundancy here. The true test of its greatness lies in how well it travels, since it is meant to be a "compact" and more portable version of the gargantuan FOONF.

Now, to be clear, we purchased a Clek WEELEE bag to transport our car seat on our flight to and from Maui, *and* we checked our car seat with our airline, which I know is a big CPS Tech no-no. They argue that any car seat that has been checked is as good as crashed, because the potential rough handling of the seat by the carrier compromises its integrity and could damage it internally. My experience (now that I've done it) is this:

a) The Weelee bag is very well padded and sturdy. Once I had the seat properly placed inside the bag, I felt that it was as good as any seat in a styrofoam-packaged box. The bonus, of course, is that unlike a box, the Weelee has a telescopic handle and deeply-grooved, rugged wheels, …

Outgrow. Outlast. - The Finale of Our BF Journey

To be completely honest, I almost didn't write this post. While I'm usually fairly open about my opinions and parenting choices, I've held this one pretty close to the vest in recent years, because it is a more controversial - and personal- decision than most others. Sadly, it is one that many Western mothers are also unfairly judged for, despite it being completely natural in many other parts of our world.

The choice: full-term, aka "extended," breastfeeding. Little L and I chose to continue our nursing journey beyond age 2, and 3, and even 4. In fact, we only weaned a couple of weeks ago. We had already stopped nursing in public and nursing on demand several years earlier, but it was only recently that Little L was ready to completely wean from her nighttime and early morning sessions; she had finally outgrown her need to drink from my milk. The most clear signs of this were her growing desire for "privacy" and alone time, and her "nye-nye"

An Eyeliner Switcheroo

For the past several years, I've been a very loyal Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Eye Liner fan. I mean, I use the stuff every single day, and I like to do dramatic wings on my eyes, so I need a quality eyeliner that is high pigment, won't smear, and has an amazing fine-tipped brush that will let me draw my eyeliner wings to a very long, dramatic tip. My standards are exacting when it comes to liquid liner. 

That said, my wallet hates me for it. Those amazing liners cost $30 a pop, and they only last a couple of months at the rate that I use them. 
So, as any responsible adult tries to do, I've attempted to save money and find a cheaper alternative. I've used all sorts of liners sent by IPSY, or bought at my local drugstore. Unfortunately, every attempt I've made has resulted in great regret. The brush applicator was too wide or too short. The eyeliner smudged too easily. The pigment wasn't dark enough. You get the idea.
However, I think I've finally found m…