Skip to main content

Cradle Crap - The Ongoing Saga


Little L's hair is slowly coming in, and it is obvious that she inherited her fine hair and wavy curls from Hubbs' side of the family. Part of the reason why her hair hasn't grown more by now has been her ongoing war with cradle cap.

I noticed it when she was just a few months old, but figured that it would clear up as she got older. It hasn't. So when she was a year old, I started trying to remove the hard "scales" by gently rubbing her scalp with a moisturizing oil (olive or coconut) or lotion. Usually this resulted in the shedding of several clumps of hair attached to the crusted scabs of skin. Then the scalp would feel less "bumpy" and a bit more hair would start to grow where the dried skin had come off. Every few months, the cradle cap would either return or the remaining spots would begin to bother me again, necessitating another exfoliation of her scalp.

Little L has never complained, either about my constant scalp massages or the skin on her scalp. She never scratches her head either, so I assume her rash isn't itchy and that she doesn't even notice that it's there. My family doc told me that it's completely natural and not a concern if it's not bugging the 2-year-old who gets bothered when she has a "sticky neck" or wears a shirt that is "too sparkly."


This last time round, I totally greased up her head with cold-pressed virgin coconut oil. It made her hair look so slick and greasy that I had to put her in pigtails just to avoid people thinking that I'm a neglectful mom. Since I applied it just before bedtime, I left it on her head for a full day and night. By the time I went to wash it off (using Cetaphil because it's supposedly gentle and good for eczema and psoriasis), the oil had seemed so much into her skin and hair that even after washing, her fine locks seemed a little greasy. That said, the scabby bits kept flaking off (this is good), and now her scalp is feeling decidedly less "bumpy." She still has a few remaining bits of the crap on her head, and I have no doubt that it will probably recur with a vengeance at some point, but for now her skin is at an acceptable level of smoothness and I am looking forward to seeing a bit more fullness in her hair when it grows in again!

Have you had to deal with toddler cradle cap? What non-medicinal remedies have you tried? What's the prognosis?


Comments

Andrea Firmani said…
We talk about cradle cap in the the prenatal classes I teach and follow up with the fact it is really benign. I think it is more of a concern to the mother than the person with the cradle cap.
Hate to say it, but leaving it alone *may* result in a similar outcome. If it feels better to oil, comb it out etc...than no harm.
My 2.5 y.o who is a blondie has a mild case. My nearly 6 y.o also had some and it was less and less by the time he was 4.
Good luck!

Popular posts from this blog

Gone with the FLLO - Traveling with the Clek FLLO

In previous posts, I've already detailed the awesomeness of Clek's FLLO seat, so no need for redundancy here. The true test of its greatness lies in how well it travels, since it is meant to be a "compact" and more portable version of the gargantuan FOONF.

Now, to be clear, we purchased a Clek WEELEE bag to transport our car seat on our flight to and from Maui, *and* we checked our car seat with our airline, which I know is a big CPS Tech no-no. They argue that any car seat that has been checked is as good as crashed, because the potential rough handling of the seat by the carrier compromises its integrity and could damage it internally. My experience (now that I've done it) is this:

a) The Weelee bag is very well padded and sturdy. Once I had the seat properly placed inside the bag, I felt that it was as good as any seat in a styrofoam-packaged box. The bonus, of course, is that unlike a box, the Weelee has a telescopic handle and deeply-grooved, rugged wheels, …

Outgrow. Outlast. - The Finale of Our BF Journey

To be completely honest, I almost didn't write this post. While I'm usually fairly open about my opinions and parenting choices, I've held this one pretty close to the vest in recent years, because it is a more controversial - and personal- decision than most others. Sadly, it is one that many Western mothers are also unfairly judged for, despite it being completely natural in many other parts of our world.

The choice: full-term, aka "extended," breastfeeding. Little L and I chose to continue our nursing journey beyond age 2, and 3, and even 4. In fact, we only weaned a couple of weeks ago. We had already stopped nursing in public and nursing on demand several years earlier, but it was only recently that Little L was ready to completely wean from her nighttime and early morning sessions; she had finally outgrown her need to drink from my milk. The most clear signs of this were her growing desire for "privacy" and alone time, and her "nye-nye"

An Eyeliner Switcheroo

For the past several years, I've been a very loyal Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Eye Liner fan. I mean, I use the stuff every single day, and I like to do dramatic wings on my eyes, so I need a quality eyeliner that is high pigment, won't smear, and has an amazing fine-tipped brush that will let me draw my eyeliner wings to a very long, dramatic tip. My standards are exacting when it comes to liquid liner. 

That said, my wallet hates me for it. Those amazing liners cost $30 a pop, and they only last a couple of months at the rate that I use them. 
So, as any responsible adult tries to do, I've attempted to save money and find a cheaper alternative. I've used all sorts of liners sent by IPSY, or bought at my local drugstore. Unfortunately, every attempt I've made has resulted in great regret. The brush applicator was too wide or too short. The eyeliner smudged too easily. The pigment wasn't dark enough. You get the idea.
However, I think I've finally found m…