Skip to main content

Put Together, Or How I am a Hot Mess

I don't know how they do it. There are some gorgeous mommas out there who are always completely made-up, wear matching accessories, and sport the cutest still-in-season outfits. This, despite having multiple kids, or having a very young baby at home, or having a busy job and no nanny.

I'm not even sure how to keep my clothes clean.

And truth be told, I can't think of too many times in the past month when I've worn something that wasn't a) leggings, b) made of a jersey/stretchy cotton-blend material, c) button-free, d) nursing-friendly. My gorgeous Stella & Dot accessories only see the light of day on date nights, which are infrequent at best. All of my make-up has pretty much expired from lack of use (with all but my eyeliner and mascara pre-dating Little L). And even shoes -  the last several pairs I've purchased have all been for comfort rather than aesthetics.

Welcome to my hot mess.

Is it because I'm an attachment-style parent? Because I didn't sleep train my kid to sleep a predictable 12 every night? Because I'm opting to continue nursing beyond the 6-month deadline that most set for themselves? I have no idea. I just know that I've gone from fabulous to semi-presentable to frumpy in just a few years' time.

And Hubbs loves me despite this, bless him. But few things are as terribly eroding for self-esteem than bumping into a hot momma when I'm in hot mess mode, complete with messy ponytail and dirty sleeves (thanks Little L).

I have a few big events to attend in the next week and a half, including the Top 30 Vancouver Mom Blogger Evening and the Van Aqua Gala. As I examined my wardrobe, it alarmed me to discover that I really don't own any article of clothing that costs more than the Gala ticket, and most of my dresses are either 6 years old, or scored on sale at Old Navy, or made from some stretchy ponte or rayon. The event is black tie optional, peeps. Hubbs even went and got himself a dapper BOSS suit from Harry Rosen just for the occasion, so I cannot possibly show up in my $29 shift dress!

So what should I wear? Where should I go to find myself a pretty cocktail number that is in a larger size and reasonably priced (but not discount-bin cheap)?  Help.

And thank goodness that one of these hot mommas happens to be my friend and my neighbor, and also a senior Stella stylist. She is going to have her work cut out for her, turning this pumpkin into a princess ;)

But seriously, if you're a put together mom, you need to dish and tell me how you do it. I want to know the secret of looking put-together, or at least, of not looking like a mommy in the trenches! What tips can you offer on how to look your best every day? (and yeah yeah, I always put a smile on my face. Please don't use that old adage).

See? Nursing tank, stretchy skirt, and this is a "nicer" outfit already. YIKES




Comments

mazoola said…
i keep things simple, i wear black.
Mrs. Loquacious said…
Welcome to my entire wardrobe, Mitzi! LOL!!

Popular posts from this blog

Gone with the FLLO - Traveling with the Clek FLLO

In previous posts, I've already detailed the awesomeness of Clek's FLLO seat, so no need for redundancy here. The true test of its greatness lies in how well it travels, since it is meant to be a "compact" and more portable version of the gargantuan FOONF.

Now, to be clear, we purchased a Clek WEELEE bag to transport our car seat on our flight to and from Maui, *and* we checked our car seat with our airline, which I know is a big CPS Tech no-no. They argue that any car seat that has been checked is as good as crashed, because the potential rough handling of the seat by the carrier compromises its integrity and could damage it internally. My experience (now that I've done it) is this:

a) The Weelee bag is very well padded and sturdy. Once I had the seat properly placed inside the bag, I felt that it was as good as any seat in a styrofoam-packaged box. The bonus, of course, is that unlike a box, the Weelee has a telescopic handle and deeply-grooved, rugged wheels, …

Outgrow. Outlast. - The Finale of Our BF Journey

To be completely honest, I almost didn't write this post. While I'm usually fairly open about my opinions and parenting choices, I've held this one pretty close to the vest in recent years, because it is a more controversial - and personal- decision than most others. Sadly, it is one that many Western mothers are also unfairly judged for, despite it being completely natural in many other parts of our world.

The choice: full-term, aka "extended," breastfeeding. Little L and I chose to continue our nursing journey beyond age 2, and 3, and even 4. In fact, we only weaned a couple of weeks ago. We had already stopped nursing in public and nursing on demand several years earlier, but it was only recently that Little L was ready to completely wean from her nighttime and early morning sessions; she had finally outgrown her need to drink from my milk. The most clear signs of this were her growing desire for "privacy" and alone time, and her "nye-nye"

An Eyeliner Switcheroo

For the past several years, I've been a very loyal Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Eye Liner fan. I mean, I use the stuff every single day, and I like to do dramatic wings on my eyes, so I need a quality eyeliner that is high pigment, won't smear, and has an amazing fine-tipped brush that will let me draw my eyeliner wings to a very long, dramatic tip. My standards are exacting when it comes to liquid liner. 

That said, my wallet hates me for it. Those amazing liners cost $30 a pop, and they only last a couple of months at the rate that I use them. 
So, as any responsible adult tries to do, I've attempted to save money and find a cheaper alternative. I've used all sorts of liners sent by IPSY, or bought at my local drugstore. Unfortunately, every attempt I've made has resulted in great regret. The brush applicator was too wide or too short. The eyeliner smudged too easily. The pigment wasn't dark enough. You get the idea.
However, I think I've finally found m…